Tea is the most consumed beverage in India. People of India like to drink the strongly brewed tea with milk and sugar which is known as chai. The chai was never an Indian thing and the desi chai as we know is British. It’s known as builder’s tea and from the name you might get the hint that this tea was meant for the working class in Britain specially the labor who could not afford tea. In 1916 the ministry of Munitions health committee claimed the health benefits of the tea and also its caffeine properties kept the production up for the Industries. Tea’s high in caffeine and tannin such as Assam tea was preferred to make builder’s tea as it was produced in India and rates were controlled by the East India Company. Talking about Assam tea it was the East India Company that brought the Chinese tea seeds and method to Assam to grow tea. The company also gave huge subsidy to the businessmen willing to establish Tea plants. This was all done to compete with the Chinese tea worldwide and china is now world no 2 producer of tea while India stand strong at no 1.
Few years after the builders tea was promoted in Britain it was advertised in India by the tea board. Since then builder’s tea or the chai has become a house hold beverage in India with many variations but it would still have Brewed tea, milk and sugar.
Though the tea existed in India even before the British ruel but it was then used for its medical qualities rather than as a beverage. Here is a list of the places where you can enjoy a perfect chai In Delhi
Best places to have tea in Delhi
- Chai Bar, Cp overs teas from all over the world and you should try there truck wali chai
- Soda bottle opener wala ,Khan market and Gurgoan – There tea goes well with their nan khatai
- Café Lota is well known for promoting Regional cuisine and you would get plenty to pair your chai
- Café wanderlust , Gurgoan – They make a very home friendly variant which is subtle but excellent
- Dhabha by Claridges – They make a very nice Dhabha style chai
Referred – Wikipedia